first guest is
at the newspaper "O Globo", Carlos Ivan cultivates essentially
A small professional profile:
C.I.- I am a professional photographer since 20 years ago and nowadays I work in one of the biggest newspapers of Brazil.
C. I. - This is a difficult question. To tell the true, I do not know in which moment I started to be interested in orchids. When it happened I looked for a society, in Rio, which joined orchid lovers and could give an orientation in how to start the cultivation.
- How many plants do you have?
C.I. - At about 300 plants
- Which orchids do you cultivate?
C.I. -Just Catasetum
- Why did you choice this kind of orchid?
I. - To tell the truth, I have never had interest in the most popular
genera (Cattleya, Oncidium, Dendrobium, and so on...) and looked for an exotic, different plant and I knew Catasetum
- Where do you cultivate your plants?
C.I. -I have a little nursery ( 3X4 m) in a terrace, in my home, in Jacarepaguá
- How many time do you spend taking care of orchids, every day?
C.I. -Nowadays, I do not have many time to my plants. When I can, I go upstairs and look how they are, if there are diseases or attacks and every day, I water them (when it is sunny)
- Was there an inspiration or someone inspired you to start to cultivate orchids?
- Which is your favorite plant, between yours?
C.I. -Catasetum piliatum and tenebrosum
- If you want to add something, please.
C.I. - If someone wants to know Catasetum, there is a society, In Brazil, formed by orchidists that love and cultivate them, ABRACC - Associação Brasileira de Cultivadores de Catasetíneas and you can get more information in the address: http://www.orkideas.com.br/inicio/_frame.html
- Thank you, Ivan.
All those photos are by © Carlos Ivan and can not be reproduced without written authorization by the author